SOS Cape Cod
Join us on 09/25/2021
SOS Cape Cod Race Description
Register here! This event is SOLD OUT for 2021!
Following in the footsteps of the acclaimed SOS Triathlon® in New York, SOS Cape Cod is a point-to-point adventure race using all three disciplines of triathlon to cross 38 miles of the spectacularly scenic Cape Cod National Seashore. Here, you begin your journey with a bike ride, followed by a series of trail runs and fresh-water swims before ending in Wellfleet for a post-race meal and after-party. Due to the rigorous nature of this race there are qualification standards: please read them carefully.
Like the original SOS event, the race starts with a bike leg; which will leave from Mayo Beach on Cape Cod Bay in the village of Wellfleet. You’ll follow mostly back country roads to Provincetown, then to Truro. Racers will leave the bikes with their support person and venture onto the sandy trails of the National Seashore. Total running is 9 miles. Along the way you will encounter glacier-created kettle ponds which will require three swims: each either a quarter or a half-mile. You’ll finish with a one-mile run along a quiet road to the finish line at Wellfleet’s Congregational Church. You and your support person are welcome at a full meal at the after-party and awards ceremony.
As part of your registration for this race, you will need to provide documentation showing you have completed or will complete at least 1 week before the race, one of the following within 30 months of race day: a standard Olympic-distance race in 3:00 hours or less (or adjusted time if a non-standard Olympic); a half-Ironman in 6:30 hours or less; or an Ironman-distance race in 14 hours or less.
REQUIRED OF COMPETITORS
Each competitor must designate a support person, or porter, with vehicle to park in designated areas during the race, to be present at the first transition stop to take your bike, and to be present at the finish line.
The SOS Triathlon, founded in 1983 by Don Davis is widely considered to be one of the sport’s most iconic events. Held every September in the rugged hills bordering New Paltz, New York, this eight-stage triathlon (bike-run-swim-run-swim-run-swim-hill climb) attracts some of the world’s best athletes — as well as individually-minded age groupers looking for a challenge unlike anything else. Winning athletes at the 2021 SOS Cape Cod will be invited to compete in the September “2021 Championship” at New Paltz.
It is important to keep athletes, volunteers and staff safe! As guidelines shift for events of this type we will update this race's website page and post to Facebook.
• Starts at Mayo Beach, Wellfleet, Cape Cod
• Winds through the narrow streets of this old fishing village before following one of the oldest (and most isolated) roads in New England along Cape Cod Bay to Truro
• Follows the bike lane of the Mid Cape Highway to North Truro
• Enters the North Highlands area of Truro, on quiet windswept roads
• From North Truro, follows Shore Road to Provincetown
• At the Harbor Inn, turns to head back to North Truro
• Follows the bike lane of the Mid Cape Highway for a short stretch
• Enters onto quiet, hilly roads by Castle Hill and Corn Hill — the first place in North America visited by English explorers
• In Truro Center, crosses over to the Ocean side of the Cape (the “Backside”)
• Finishes on Collins Road in Lower Truro, where athletes will meet their support designates and exchange bikes for running/swimming gear
Racers will embark on a combination run/swim effort (9 miles of running, 1.25 of swimming, across seven legs) through the Cape Cod National Seashore lands in Truro and Wellfleet. The runners will be following existing footpaths and both dirt and paved roads, with the last run leg entirely on paved roads
• Run #1: Truro Highlands, 4 miles
• Swim #1: Gull Pond, 0.5 mile
• Run #2: Fire Roads, 2.5 miles
• Swim #2: Great Pond, 0.25 mile
• Run #3: Way 625, 1.5 miles
• Swim #3: Long Pond, 0.5 mile
• Run #4: Long Pond Road, 1 mile
• Finish at Wellfleet Congregational Church
No transfers or substitutions will be allowed. There will be no refunds or deferments.
There is no rain date. Race management reserves the right to modify or shorten the race course in case of inclement weather or unforeseen circumstances. This has happened often, and athletes should be aware of — and accept — the possibility.
150 athletes will be allowed at SOS Cape Cod. The SOS race in NY sells out in minutes every year.
Athletes and support persons are invited to the after-party and awards with a full meal in Wellfleet. Additional meals can be purchased for $30.
FINISHER HONORS AND AWARDS
All SOS Survivors receive a tech shirt and finisher plaque.
For those traveling from afar, Cape Cod is awash with hotels, motor lodges, inns, bed and breakfasts, vacation cottages and AirBnB offerings.
Friday, June 18th
4pm Packet Pickup
5pm Racer meeting
Saturday, June 19th
7am Race begins at Mayo Beach
12pm Post race lunch
2pm Awards ceremony
- Location: Wellfleet, MA 02662
- Race Date: 2021/09/25 07:00:00 AM (Saturday)
SOS Cape Cod Where & When
SOS Cape Cod Reviews
Other Races You May Want to Consider
SOS Cape Cod Restaurants & Activities
Below are some of the highest rated restaurants in Wellfleet as well as the highest rated activities in Wellfleet. Extend your experience with all Wellfleet has to offer.