It's A Child's Life Foundation is proud to present the 2nd Annual A Mile in Their Shoes walk for foster care. The purpose of the walk to 1) bring awareness of the impact foster care can have on a child 2) partner with local agencies to educate families who are considering foster care 3) provide luggage and other needed items to DHS in order to help children and families transition into foster care.
Participants will enter the world of the foster child. Walkers will take luggage (see strategy below) with them on the course as they learn statistics of what impacts a child in foster care and/or times out of the system. This is a family friendly event.
We are asking you to help us stockpile Pontotoc County OKDHS with critical need items:
1. New luggage (for kids to transport their worldly possessions in one carrier)
2. School supplies (crayons, pencils, erasers, folders, notebooks, calculators, pencil pouches, glue, glue sticks, scissors, tissues, 12 in rulers, watercolors paints, art boxes, etc)
3. Diaper Bag Items (diapers of ALL sizes, baby wipes, diaper rash cream, pacifiers, baby blankets, etc)
We want to be seen. Starting at 8am, we will walk down Main St. (following traffic laws) from H2O.church (start and finish lines are at Broadway and Main) to Trinity Baptist Church (N. Turner) and back to bring awareness to the community as we learn statistics and pray over those involved in foster care. See Course Map.
1. Follow traffic laws. We will be pulling our donated luggage during this mile.
2. Parents/guardians must monitor children at all times during event.
3. Sport an attitude of gratitude, willingness to help/serve others, listening ears, and soft heart.