We invite you to participate in the Veterans Day 5K event in at the Lake in the Hills Airport. This unique venue will give the chance for runners to run on a fully functional airport runway. Stick around after for a post race celebration and awards in one of the airplane hangars.
Veterans receive a $5 discount and a free Veterans Day 5K sticker that indicates they are a proud veteran!
Want to help out instead? Signup To Volunteer
- Date | Saturday, November 10, 2018
- Location | Lake in the Hills Airport, 8407 Pyott Rd., Lake in the Hills, IL 60156 Directions
- Start Times
- Race Day Registration/Check-In: 6:30-7:45 am
- Race Begins: 8:00am
- Awards Ceremony: Approximately 9:45am
- Registration Fees (fees increase $10 after 11/01/18)
- 5k Run - $35
- Wheelchair 5k - $35
- 5k Walk - $30
- Virtual 5k- $30
- Packet Pickup
- 11/9 | 9 am-6 pm | Lake in the Hills Village Hall, 600 Harvest Gate
- 11/10 | 6:30 - 7:45 am | Race Site
- Swag and Additional Options
- Included in the price of registration:
- Chip Timing by J3 Timing (walk is not chip timed/no awards)
- Commemorative Finishers Medal
- Long sleeve, hooded t-shirt (Ladies or Mens Sizing Available). Register by October 1st to be guaranteed a shirt in your size. (example added soon!)
- Need more?
- Choose a swag item! Participants can choose between a beanie or fleece ear warmer as an additional purchase.
- “Honor a Veteran” Walk or run in honor of the veterans in your life. You can wear this customizable sticker at the race and salute your favorite veterans as an additional purchase.
- CLICK HERE TO SHOP FOR MORE SWAG!
- Awards | Top three overall males and top three overall females; then the top three males and top three females (overall winners excluded from age groups awards) per the following age categories: 19 and under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70 and over. Race officals reserve the right to combine age groups and/or race categories based on amount of registration.
Want to help out instead? Signup To Volunteer
- Many flexible sponsorship opportunities are available that include in-kind donations or monetary donations. Contact Kristi Brewer, Race Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- We offer discounts to running/walking/fitness clubs and veteran groups/associations who will promote the race to its membership database and/or corporate groups and teams of ten of more participants, email the Race Director at email@example.com to get started.
DETAILED EVENT INFORMATION & RULES
- ONLY online registration will be taken for this event.
- Shirt/Swag items guaranteed if registered by October 1, 2018.
- Prices listed do not include processing fee's.
- Registration is non-refundable and race numbers are non-transferrable.
- A friend or family member can pick up your packet for you, just make sure they have a copy of your registration confirmation to be safe.
- Arrive earlier than you think you need to on race day
- Register early to save money (and share the love with your bro’s, friends, and fellow aviation lovers, tell them about the event and early pricing!)
- Family and friends who are not registered can come along and watch at no cost.
- If you win an award and didn’t hear it announced on race day or you leave early, we can mail it to you for $15, please contact the Race Director at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange payment and shipping. Otherwise, awards can be picked up the next business day after the race; Village of Lake in the Hills (600 Harvest Gate), Parks & Recreation Department desk; Monday-Friday 8:30am-5pm.
- The starting line will only be open for 5 minutes after the official start of the race, if you are late and miss it you will not be allowed to start.
- Oh and run with a smile, this is a party people.
In the event the race should be canceled for reasons beyond the control of the LITH Parks and Recreation Department (inclement weather or unsafe weather conditions; local, state or national emergency), refunds will not be made, but race packets, including race shirts, will be available the next business day at LITH Village Hall, 600 Harvest Gate. Information will be available on Village of LITH website.
Safety & Inclement Weather
- Only leashed pets will be permitted. Only service animals will be permitted on the course.
- Baby strollers/joggers/carriers allowed & must start in the back of the line.
- For your safety and the safety of others, please allow room for faster individuals to pass you. If you are running or walking with friends, please do not line-up more than two abreast.
- Gear check is not available at this race.
- Race participants should be prepared to participate in any weather conditions.
- In the case of scattered showers (no thunder/lightning)- the race will take place. Use caution during the race as the tarmac may be slippery.
- In the case of a weather-related cancellation, we will not be able to reschedule or refund registration.
- We will monitor radar in the case of potential thunder and lightning storms and make final determination on race day at 7:00am.
- The event will take place rain or shine unless there are conditions that may affect the safety and health of the participants. If dangerous weather conditions occur, race officials will determine if a delayed start is possible.
- If conditions are deemed unsafe by the Village of Lake in the Hills, awards ceremony will not be held. Further information will be given for awards pick-up if this portion of the event is canceled.
Wheelchair 5k Guidelines/Safety
- Only rigid-frame wheelchairs will be permitted. Self-propelled wheelchairs that are collapsible (‘hospital-style’) will be not be allowed to participate in the event.
- No mechanical gears or levers are allowed. The chair must be manually propelled. In accordance with national and international wheelchair rules, NO handcycles, handbikes, or other mechanically gear driven devices are permitted in the race.
- All self-propelled wheelchair athletes must wear a protective helmet. Only helmets that are ANSI, CEN, ASTM, CPSC, Australian, Canadian or SNELL certified, without modification, will be accepted. The helmet must be worn for the duration of the race with the chin-strap fastened.
- All wheelchairs must be structurally sound (i.e., no cracks in the frame or welds, no loose or missing spokes, etc.). The athlete must be securely seated in the wheelchair and remain so while racing.
- All wheelchair participants must be able to maintain control of their wheelchair at all times. Race officials may immediately and without warning disqualify from the event and remove from the course any participant whose racing style is considered by such official to be dangerous, to interfere with other participants, or to fail to yield the right of way to other participants or volunteers.
- Disabled participants in a wheelchair who are being pushed by an able-bodied participant must both be officially registered, and must start at the back of the field. Disabled participants in a wheelchair being pushed by an able bodied participant are urged to wear a protective helmet and must at all times yield the right of way to other participants.
- Disabled participants being pushed by an able-bodied participant are not eligible for awards.
- Able-bodied participants are not eligible to compete in the wheelchair division.
- Motorized wheelchairs are not allowed.
- All chairs are subject to a rules and safety inspection. Race Director has final decision whether or not a chair will be permitted on the course.
Virtual 5k Information
- All Virtual 5k race participants will be emailed a race bib on or before November 5, 2018 to the email address provided at registration.
- Finisher Medal/Shirts/Swag will be mailed via USPS to the provided address at registration between: November 12 - December 3, 2018 AFTER the race is completed.
- NOTE: Virtual 5k Participants are not eligible for real-time event race awards. If your time is submitted by the due date, Virtual 5k participants will be eligible for certificate awards based on Virtual 5k registrations/times submitted.
- What is a Virtual 5k?
- A virtual race can be done at any venue that you wish. You can walk, jog, skip or run the 5k. You can complete your race at the gym on a treadmill, a practice run in town, a stroll in the park, or another local racing event. We believe in the honor system so no proof is required for your race, but it would be awesome if you could upload pictures and tell us about your experience on our Village of Lake in the Hills Facebook event page.
- Who can participate in the Virtual 5k?
- Everybody and anybody! There is no age limit and there are no restrictions. So run, jog, walk, crawl, run alone, run in a group, run with your pet, bike, hike, it doesn’t matter. Just get out there and get moving!
- Do I have to complete the distance all at one time or can I break it up into different days?
- No you are not required to run your distance all at one time. Feel free to break it up into several runs if you need to. The total distance must be completed by 8:00 am on November 12, 2018.
- Can I ride my bike or a stationary bike and count those as miles also?
- Absolutely. Every 3 biked miles = 1 mile of walking or running.
- How do I submit my time?
- An email will be sent after the real-time event takes place asking for your final time. We work on the honor system and you must submit your time by 8:00 am on November 12, 2018 to be eligible for certificate awards. Feel free to join our Facebook event page where we will be cheering each other on: Village of Lake in the Hills Facebook event page.
- I want to do this as a group. Do you offer a group discount?
- Yes! If your group has 10 or more people contact us and we will create a special discount code for you and your group: email@example.com